History of St. Edmund’s School
The school was founded in 1874 by the Rev. J. Morgan Brown at Glebe House,
Hunstanton, Norfolk. His son, Mr. C. Morgan Brown, who was affectionately known
to many generations as ‘Mr Cyril’ moved the school to Hindhead in 1900 and
renamed it St. Edmund’s after the East Anglian King and Martyr. The original
Blencathra House at Hindhead stood in some 30 acres of woodland, and had been
let out to G. B. Shaw for two years. The original house was added to and the
Chapel, Library and Dining Room as well as classrooms and dormitories (most of
which were built facing north as at the turn of the century it was considered
unhealthy to face the sun) were completed by the end of 1900. At the same time
the Upper Games Field was laid out and two fives courts built back to back which
provided a wall for many boys against which to practise their strokes of tennis,
cricket etc. A nine-hole golf course was laid out and an open air swimming pool
soon added to the facilities of the school which gave St. Edmund’s the edge over
the other local schools which had neither golf or swimming to offer.
‘Mr. Cyril’ remained as headmaster until he died in 1929. Ivor Sant, who had been
his partner since 1900 automatically took over as headmaster but he had no wish
to take over the running of the school and a search was made for a successor.
Who better to step into the headmaster’s seat than Ivo Bulley, married to Mr.
Cyril’s younger daughter, Rosamira. Mr. and Mrs. Bulley together took control
and successfully saw the school through the Second World War.
In 1952 he handed the school over to Peter Weeks, himself an Old Boy of the
school from 1928 – 1932 when he moved on to Charterhouse. Badly burned in the
R.A.F. following a Hurricane accident, he became one of Archie MacIndoe’s
‘Guinea Pigs’ – the club’s first Treasurer as he was unable to run off with the
funds. Released from the R.A.F. in 1944 he joined the staff of the school and
was Senior Master for some years before taking over. In 1960 in memory of Ivo
Bulley who died in 1956, the Ivo Bulley Memorial Library was opened.
The days of proprietory Prep. Schools were coming to an end and so when Tony Pull
came to take over the reins of the school a Charitable Trust was formed in 1979
with Richard Saunders, a Chartered Surveyor in the City and also an Old Boy of
the school, as the first Chairman of the Governors. Tony Pull had joined the
school from Oxford in September 1960 and shortly after his arrival it was
discovered that his prep. school life had been at Glebe House, Hunstanton which
has continued to flourish after the departure of the Morgan Brown family to
When Geoff Finch retired from his position as Senior Master in 1967 Tony Pull was
on the touch line waiting to step into his footsteps.
In 1974 the School celebrated its centenary and an Appeal was launched to replace the ‘Hut’ with a larger gym and four classrooms.
In 1979 the Governors together with Tony Pull at the helm saw the need for building improvements and almost immediately launched a further Appeal to raise money for a new Pavilion, Club Room and Class Room for the boys to make up for the loss of Bryanston, the home of the Weeks family who had housed 15 boys and provided a class room and a club room in their house. Sadly, down came the Fives Courts and the famous wall battered by so many balls. It was also decided that a new kitchen should be built – an extension to the dining room end of the building. The kitchen of the original house was two floors up and all the food and stores had to be taken upstairs by a hand operated lift and then bought down again to eat.
The Rev. John Hardwick, who had become Senior Master when Tony Pull became headmaster retired in July 1986 and Peter Wragge Morley took over in his position. Plans for the replacement of the classroom blocks on the Puntabout came into effect and a further Appeal was launched. Work started in April 1987 and was scheduled to be finished by September 1987 when Bryan Farley took over the Chairmanship of the Board of Governors. In October 1987 Mrs. Virginia Bottomley, the M.P. for West Surrey officially opened the new building and at the same time the Puntabout was re-surfaced to serve both as an all weather area together with car park facilities for day boy parents.
In 1989 it was the turn of the staff accommodation and the Bungalow was demolished to be replaced by a stone building containing a flat for a married couple and three large bed-sitters for bachelor staff.