Senior (Years 9 to 11)
In September 2011 the governors of St. Edmund’s announced that they had decided unanimously to extend the education for boys and girls up to age 16 and GCSE level. After regular consultations with parents, this had become a firmly-held ambition and, with numbers in the prep school at their highest for over a decade, it was felt that the timing was right to go ahead with this exciting expansion.
The governors’ vision for a senior St Edmund’s is one that will:
- Have its own distinct identity with a degree of separation from the younger years.
- Continue our culture, academic standards, exceptional pastoral care, and strengths in sport, music and the arts, for boys and girls up to the age of 16.
- Offer a range of GCSE options to reflect children’s strengths and interests.
- Offer significantly smaller class sizes than the norm (around 15 pupils per class).
- Enable a seamless transition to secondary education with continuity for children, siblings and their parents.
- Create an important alternative to existing senior schools, providing an excellent education at a significantly lower cost.
The first new year group (Year 9) opens in September 2014 and children have enrolled into our current Year 7 with a view to staying to GCSE. We have reserved some places for children at traditional prep schools who wish to enter Year 9 at 13+ in September 2014.
St. Edmund’s is already a school of great quality - now we are extending that quality to GCSE studies. Do explore the categories opposite to see for yourself what we can offer to your child in Years 7 & 8 and our plans for the future in Year 9 in 2014 and beyond.