School Founded by the Rev. J. Morgan- Brown at Glebe House, Hunstanton, Norfolk. Named St. Edmund’s after the local Saint East Anglian King and Martyr. 17 April 1874 St Edmund's School was born with seven boys in the first term!
School moved to Hindhead, Surrey. Moved into Blencathra, taking over from the previous resident, George Bernard Shaw.
School Chapel built.
Mr. and Mrs. Ivo Bulley Took over as the second Heads and took the School through the Second World War.
Peter Weeks, an old boy of the school became Head. Peter was invalided out of the RAF in 1938 with death-threatening burns, after safely landing his burning Hurricane, rather than bailing out at the cost of a valuable fighter aircraft.
School celebrated it’s Centenary.
Tony Pull (Peter Weeks’ long serving Deputy Headmaster) took over as Headmaster. A Charitable Trust was formed in 1979– The first Chairman of the Governors was Richard Saunders (OSE).
Andrew Sangster from Eton College was appointed Headmaster.
Trevor Gibbs, who had been Andrew Sangster’s Deputy Head, acted as the inter-regnum Headmaster for one term whilst waiting for Andrew Fowler-Watt to be released from Cranleigh.
A visit to the school by King Hussein of Jordan and Queen Noor. Not only did the King fly in his own helicopter and land it on the top field but he also bought the entire school a Chinese take away, a tradition still held at our themed activity nights
Andrew Fowler-Watt took over as Headmaster.
Introduced a major innovation by setting up a full scale tutorial system based on a similar scheme at Eton. A structure that remains in place today and is equally successful.
Adam Walliker appointed as Headmaster.
St Edmund’s went fully Co-Ed (having only had girls up to Year 2 until now)
St Edmund’ Senior School Founded with the introduction of our first Year 9 cohort.
Auden centre and DT workshop opened
Newly re-furbished Dimbleby rooms opened.
New Science labs in Puntablock opened bringing the number to 5.
Alliss building opened.
Newly refurbished Hunstanton block, with an extra 4 first floor classrooms opened.
Farley Hall opened by Bryan Farley, one of our school Governors.
New school Dining Hall opens.